Saturday, August 7, 2010

Puppy Chewing Help

I have a few things to say before I start this post. On August 6th or 5th Teddy (hamster) died. I woke up went to go feed him and found him not breathing. So now I only have Coco. Also, the reason this post is late is because I had a virus on my computer and it wouldn't let me open my folder where I keep all of my pre-written posts and I wasn't about to type it all again. My dad fixed it and now we're back in business!! Haha! By the way it was stupid Security Tool that infected my computer!! Now enjoy this post!
You bring you new puppy home and you hope that it will be a perfect little angel, not the truth is, it won't be. When you leave your puppy home by itself confine it to an area like in the kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room. I don't understand why people get mad at their puppies when they chew something up when their not home, you have to wonder, what did these people expect!! So to make sure your dog doesn't destroy anything, confine it with lots of toys. I really reccomend a KONG so that they have something to do all day while you are gone. There are different kind of KONG's some for dental care like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750601
or ones for solid food like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3882654
Here are all of the KONG options http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=rubberkong&origkw=rubberkong&sr=1
As long as you give your puppy something to do while its in confinement, it shouldn't try to escape or chew anything it's not suppsed to.
If your really big problem is your puppy chewing on things when you are home then as I said in my potty training post, attatch their leash/lead to your pants. If you don't want to do this for whatever reason then anytime your dog bites on something then scold them and put them in a "time out' by putting them in a bathroom with no toys. DO NOT put them in their crate/cage, you do not want them to think going in their cage is a punishment. If this continues then you can buy a no chew spray like Bitter Yuck that you can get from petsmart or other petstores. Still scold them when they go to chew on the furniture and put them in "time out" but it most likely will stop them from chewing your furniture. Anytime your puppy chews on it's toys that it is supposed to then reward him/her to let it know that that is what you are supposed to chew on. Keep the training consistent and never give up. If you have any questions email me at petspetshelp@aol.com. Also, follow me on twitter Kad971. Hope I helped all of you new dog owners or old dog owners that just have a troubeled puppy, please comment and follow this blog!!!
xoxo,
Kirstyn

No comments:

Post a Comment